Virtual video visits, also known as telemedicine or telehealth visits, make it possible for you to visit with healthcare providers via a smartphone, tablet, or computer without needing to leave your home. There are many benefits to this, including:
- Limiting potential exposure and the spread of infectious disease to protect yourself and others
- Providing greater healthcare access to those who live in rural areas or have personal limited mobility
- Scheduling flexibility for appointments
For the safety of and convenience for our patients, family medicine appointments may now be conducted as virtual video visits, depending on the health concern to be addressed.
Here’s how to schedule and attend your virtual visit:
- Schedule a virtual visit by calling 712-336-3750 or 712-336-2410. Tell the scheduler or nurse you want a virtual visit. Depending on your health concern, the clinic will decide if your appointment can be a virtual visit. Once the scheduler or nurse says a virtual visit can occur, they will get your email address and cell phone number so doxy.me can send you an email or text message with a link that will check you in to your appointment.
- Before your appointment, a nurse will call you and ask standard intake questions, such as what you’re being seen for, height, weight, travel history, and medications you are currently taking.
- At the time of your appointment, open the email or text message you received from doxy.me. Click on the link provided in the message.
- Type your name in the box and click the “Check In” button.
- The program may ask to access the camera and microphone. If so, select “Allow” and/or “Enable Camera.”
- You will then be taken to the virtual visit with your provider.
Virtual Visit Frequently Asked Questions:
Does insurance cover virtual visits?
Yes, most insurance plans cover virtual visits in the same manner they cover in-person visits. Please check with your insurance provider for details.
Will the appointment price be different from a traditional visit?
The price of a virtual visit is the same as a traditional in-person visit.
Will I be charged additional fees?
No additional fees will be charged for a virtual visit.
Will the doctor really be able to help me remotely?
Absolutely! You’ll be able to express your concerns to your provider much like you would during a regular in-person visit. Medications will be sent to your pharmacy if deemed necessary as well.
What is the quality of care?
According to a recent study by Massachusetts General Hospital, 62% of virtual visit patients said the quality was just as good as in-person visits, and 21% said it was even better. Studies have found that 95% of the time is spent directly with the provider in a virtual visit. This compares to less than 20% of the time spent directly with the provider in an in-person visit. Patients also tend to be more relaxed and candid during a virtual visit, which improves the quality of care received.
How secure is a virtual visit?
All data from the virtual visit is encrypted, your sessions are anonymous, and none of your information is stored. Our virtual visits also adhere to HIPAA, PIPEDA, and GDPR data privacy requirements.