Digestive discomforts such as heartburn and stomach pain can be caused by many things. Lakes Regional Healthcare can help you determine the cause of your discomfort and treatment plans with the help of your primary care provider, general surgeons, and dietitians.
Digestive discomforts can be the result of:
- Colon (small and large intestine) – Clostridium difficile (C. diff), Crohn’s disease, diverticulosis/diverticulitis, colitis, Celiac disease, lymphoma constipation, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Esophagus – Acid reflux, Barrett’s esophagus, swallowing disorders, esophageal varices
- Gallbladder and bile duct – Gallstones, Gallbladder disease, bile duct diseases
- Liver – Hepatitis, cysts, cirrhosis, cancer, peritonitis, alcoholic liver disease, fatty liver
- Pancreas – Pancreatic disease, cystic fibrosis
- Rectum and anus – Constipation, abscess, anal fissures, fistula, fecal incontinence, hemorrhoids, rectal prolapse, rectal ulcer, pilonidal disease
- Stomach – GERD, peptic disorders, gastroenteritis, hiatal hernia, ulcers, gastritis, abdominal pain
- Tumors of the GI Tract – Benign and malignant tumors
Digestive Health services and treatments may include:
- Laboratory tests, such as a fecal occult blood test, stool culture, and blood testing
- Imaging tests, such as a CT scan, lower GI series (barium enema), MRI, swallowing study, ultrasound, or upper GI series (barium swallow)
- Endoscopic procedures, such as a colonoscopy, EGD, or flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Other procedures, such as manometry studies, dietary changes, medications, or surgery
To learn more, talk to your local healthcare provider.