You never know when you’re going to be in a medical emergency. But one thing you can know is that you’ll be in safe hands with our Emergency Department. Our emergency medical team consists of experienced, knowledgeable physicians, registered nurses, paramedics, and more. The doctors are specially trained in advanced trauma life support, advanced cardiac life support, pediatric advanced life support and neonatal resuscitation program. We are a Verified Level IV Trauma Center and have been since 1995.
You get the fastest possible access to the expertise of medical specialists both locally and regionally thanks to our eER capabilities. High-definition video and audio connects our local medical team with experts at Avera’s virtual hospital in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, which means you can stay here and get even more care when you need it.
We strive for fast, compassionate care. Each month, we monitor the time it takes for our patients to receive care in our Emergency Department and compare ourselves to state and national averages. To learn more, visit Time Spent in the ED.
Sometimes the emergency care you need must be received elsewhere. In those instances, rapid emergency air or ground transport are essential. We’re ready to respond 24/7 with:
- Helicopter transport service – Helicopters provide smooth, quiet emergency transport when weather allows.
- Fixed wing transport service – If helicopter transport is limited by weather, airplanes are comfortable, effective and ready at all times to provide emergency transports.
- Emergency vehicles – Our ground ambulances provide high quality critical care during transport to and between medical facilities.
We transport patients to hospitals throughout the region, including:
- Sioux Falls, SD
- Rochester, MN
- Sioux City, IA
- Omaha, NE
- Minneapolis, MN
When to Seek Emergency Care
If you have any emergent health concerns such as those listed below, call 911 or visit the nearest Emergency Department immediately:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Major burns/cuts
- Complications from pregnancy
- Poisoning or drug overdose
- Stroke-like symptoms
- Suicidal thoughts
Lakes Regional Healthcare’s ER is available 24 hours/day, every day. It is located on our main Spirit Lake campus at 2301 Highway 71 South.