Spirit Lake, IA (March 24, 2021) Breast cancer is common, affecting one in eight American women. A screening mammogram is one of the most valuable ways to identify breast cancer in its earliest stages when it is most treatable. However, despite the technology that is available, many women don’t get the exam when they should for many reasons. Iowa Department of Public Health’s (IDPH) Care for Yourself program hopes to improve accessibility to mammograms, pap smears, and pelvic exams for women in Dickinson, Emmet, and Osceola counties in Iowa. As a result, Dickinson County Public Health and Lakes Regional Healthcare have partnered to provide a Care for Yourself Mammogram Event on Thursday, April 14 and Monday, April 18.
Lakes Regional Healthcare Director of Population and Public Health Katy Burke said the Care for Yourself event will provide a free screening mammogram to 12 people that meet certain qualifications, which include:
- Resident of Dickinson, Emmet, or Osceola county,
- Are between the ages of 40-64 years of age or are under age 40 and have signs of breast cancer,
- Have a monthly income of $2,832 (take home pay) or less (add $983 for each additional household member),
- Have no health insurance,
- Have health insurance, but are unable to pay the co-payment or deductible, or
- Have health insurance, but need help to make sure they get screened, such as those who have language barriers or lack of transportation.
The event will be held on April 14 and 18 from 3:00 pm until 6:00 pm at Lakes Regional Healthcare in Spirit Lake. Gas cards will be available to attend the event, if needed, and translation services will be available. Those interested in learning more about the Care for Yourself program or in scheduling an appointment for the event are to call Dickinson County Public Health at 712-339-6050 and ask for Pam or Milly.
The Care for Yourself program will also provide a free pap smear and pelvic exam to those ages 21-64. According to Burke, those who receive the mammograms will get these additional exams scheduled at a later date.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
(712) 336-8799 (W)
(712) 339-5754 (C)